[PD] PD and MacIntel

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Oct 31 19:31:37 CET 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 3:52 AM, Steffen wrote:
> On 30/10/2006, at 20.30, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> I guess externals overtime can alter there dependencies list,
>>> hence making such list/table writable for all would be ideal to
>>> keep it update - so yes, i agree.
>>>
>>> But could I fx. start do the job? Where/how do i find out what a
>>> given external depend on, and what externals there are (in pd-
>>> extended)? That is, if i knew, i might have done it already. Can
>>> it be pulled out of the ./configure info?
>>
>> You could start with the .libs files, they specify addition libs
>> to link in:  find ~/cvs/pure-data/externals/ -name '*.libs'
> Ok, thanks. I'll see to that.

>>> Yes, good idea. Though the users will still need the above list
>>> of dependencies in order to install the dependencies needs to
>>> build a given subset of pd-extended. It might be a nice to have
>>> feature to be able to supply a list of externals one would want
>>> build, in the hypothetical situation where one have the
>>> dependencies for a given external but still don't want to build
>>> it into the subset of pd-extended.
>>
>> That shouldn't be too hard with autoconf.
>
> Ok. I thought it would be like supplying a list of wanted externals
> to ./configure. But ofcause i don't know autoconf.

Something like this:

By default, it would try to build every it can.  Otherwise, you would
use flags.  For example, to build just motex:

./configure --disable-all-externals --enable-motex

Or to enable something that's off by default:

./configure --enable-pyext

>>> Yes. I don't think the demand will be huge (might only be me),
>>> and the dependencies list will be somehow needed. So it could be
>>> left fairly low prioritized on a todo-list somewhere. But in the
>>> realm of making a comprenhencive documentation on how to obtain
>>> different "configurations" of  Pd i think it would be needed.
>>
>> Its bigger that you think, plus it will be helpful in many other
>> ways.  For example, it would handle platform differences
>> automatically, which means we could stop doing it manually.
>
> Could you clarify how it is bigger then i think?

Meaning that it will solve a number of other problems as well.
Sorry, I got to stop writing strange slang using words about size
(previously I said "that is huge!", causing some
misunderstanding...).  The slang is, when you say something is "big"
or "huge"  that means its really a good thing.

> Will it handle different platform builds automatically by just
> skipping an external in the build list that happens not to be
> supported for the given platform that the build is for (, but works
> for other platforms)?

Basically, ./configure looks for libs.  Then when building, things
will only build if all the required libs where found.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler