[PD] control signal sample speed

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 02:10:24 CET 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:33:23 +0100
Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 18:55 +0100, derek holzer wrote:
>
> > That said, I've found that filters are not exactly PD's strong point.
> > They tend to "blow up" much more easily that in other DSP programs I've
> > used or seen (Reaktor, SuperCollider, etc).
>
> is that related to the 'system' pd, or is that just, because no 'good'
> filters have been implemented yet? i just want to add, that i never
> noticed that the filters in standard pd or from iemlib tend 'to blow
> up'. this might be, because i never seriously worked with reaktor nor
> supercollider and have no comparison... so i just wonder about the
> quality of the mentioned filters in pd.

I've never noticed any instability in Pd standard filters either,
and I've certainly punished them enough. The only time I've really
seen the sharp end of Pd filters is messing with [biquad~] and [pole~]
designing my own, but if you play with fire...

> btw: is [vcf~] the only known filter with a signal-frequency-inlet?

Actually I forgot [moog~], which also allows a-rate Q control afair,
which kinda answers the OPs question.