[PD] processing audio and render in gem simultaneously???

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Fri Nov 3 19:40:15 CET 2006

Hallo!

> is possible to process audio in pd and work with gem
> simultaneously???.
yes, of course ...

> 768 ram., but always i obtanin clicks and interference
> in audio when I apply a process in gem...like change
> from videoA.mov to videoB.mov...is a simply task but
> audio generate a click. may be gem is not designed to
The problem is, that the audio and video calculation is in the same
thread - so if there is a heavy calculation in GEM you get an audio
dropout, because there is too few cpu time to also calculate audio ...

> some suggestion or advice?
You can use 2 instances of pd at the same time: one for audio and one
for GEM (and start this one with -nogui) - then you can send data
between them through netsend/netreceive.
Now the audio and video calculation is seperated and you can say your OS
that the audio-process should have a higher priority.

Alternatively you could also try pdp. There you can use only one
instance of pd and start pdp in a seperate thread.

LG
Georg