[PD] processing audio and render in gem simultaneously???

sven ml.sven at subscience.de
Fri Nov 3 18:49:17 CET 2006

At 18:21 03.11.2006, Andres Ferrari wrote:

> hello everybody.
>

>is possible to process audio in pd and work with gem
>simultaneously???. i have mac osx with 1.33 mhz and
>768 ram., but always i obtanin clicks and interference
>in audio when I apply a process in gem...like change
>from videoA.mov to videoB.mov...is a simply task but
>audio generate a click. may be gem is not designed to
>work with audio processs in the same time....i don't
>know....may be there are problems in my mac...in
>max/jitter i don't have these problems.

the problem is that most video processing will very likely take
longer than 1 audio block per video frame
you can try to work around that by setting a bigger blocksize
because the default is just 64bytes = 1.45ms @ 44100
but that will cause a higer audiolatency.
the best solution is to split your patch into two separate patches
one just containg the audio part, the other one just doing the video
stuff and run those two patches with two instances of pd.
but that also sucks when those two pd's then have to communicate
a lot (netsend or osc)
it would be a great feature for gem if it was a separate thread with
settable priority relative to "parent"-pd.

feature request!
feature request!!
feature request!!!

thx,