[PD] japanese text strangeness

timon timon at sosolimited.com
Mon Nov 6 20:34:29 CET 2006

Hi, I have been trying to get an extended character set correctly
mapped into PD from external text files. T. Mayer pointed out that PD
(at least on osx) use UTF-8 format. So saving all my text files as
UTF-8 lets them load into PD with the characters correctly mapped. In
this way I am also able to get Japanese characters correctly mapped
into PD. So now I want to bring them into Gem - the textextruded
object. I am using the Hiragino OTF that ships with OSX. The font
loads fine, but the Japanese characters will not display - reference
the correct characters. Just a buch of very wrongly placed latin
symbols and accents. Im feeding them straight from a symbol object so
I can see its the right characters. Is there a limitation to the
[textextruded] object? Or could this be the font?

Anyone know a fix here?

Many thanks
Timon.