[PD] [pdp]/[gridflow] trying to use a webcam

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Nov 8 23:27:08 CET 2006

hi matju

thanks a lot for that info. i get a picture also in gridflow now. a bit
confusing is, that if you select [colorspace YUV420P(, you get an error,
but you already mentioned that in your post.

without knowing the principles behind the programming of gridflow, it is
a pain, that the colorspace conversion ([#yuv_to_rgb]-[#clip]) eats
quite a huge amount of cpu without any further processing. here on my
pentium m 1.7GHz it is about 30% with 'dim 240 320' and a framerate of
30. again, i don't know the technical details behind the objects i work
with, but it seems strange in my eyes, that having to do a conversion in
gridflow is the only available option to get a 'normal' looking picture.
for many applications it might not be absolutely necassary to do such a
conversion. but on the other hand - as far as i can understand - it is
not always easy to work in the 'wrong' colorspace, depending on what one
wants to do, since a change in the brightness results in a change of the
color, is that right?

if only YUV420P is a 'valid' colorspace, why are there others available?

anyway, it works now, so i will stop moaning around...

cheers
roman