[Pd] Serial port out

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 9 19:55:40 CET 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>> I'm going forward with this Moog-controlling plan.
>> I have Pd on my laptop, and have compiled [comport].  I'm not sure
>> how
>> to use it, though.  As with so many things, most of the info I can
>> find online tells me way more than what I want.
>>
>> What I want:
>> Is it possible to send constant values OR individual bits to the
>> serial port, as opposed to bytes separated by on/off bits?  How can I
>> set up the timing on this to send controllable PWM?
>> Will it be possible to send PWM from comport with -noaudio?
> You can toggle the handshaking lines at high speed but you will run
> into the jitter caused by pd's audio block size. Or you could send
> data through the serial port with different ratios of on and off
> bits, but you will only get 8 different levels. I think you need to
> put a serial dac there. It's possible to clock serial data into a
> dac using just the handshaking lines -- one serves as a clock and
> the other data.

That's an idea for an object written in pd [serial-pwm].  It would
PWM signals by flipping bits on the serial port.  Frequency would be
determined by a combo of baud rate and bits used for one cycle.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be useful at all...

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.