[PD] converting video patches from jitter

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 9 20:20:59 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Sciss wrote:

> jit.qt.movie				streaming movie files off harddisc ;
> note that the movies can be converted to any other movie format if necessary

[#in quicktime] or [#in mpeg]

> jit.matrix					storing frames

[#store]

> jit.window				presenting movies

[#out window]

> jit.scalebias				modifying r / g / b dynamics

this is a [# *] or a [# *>>8] and a [# +] at once.

[jit.op @op +] becomes just [# +]

> jit.alphablend			superimposing png images with transparency

[#draw_image] or [#layer]

> jit.rgb2hsl and jit.hsl2rgb	animating de-saturation (to greyscale) and
> back to colour

there's no hsl nor hsv in GridFlow; you can use [#saturation] and
[#hueshift] to get similar effects.

> GEM will allow me to play video files as openGL textures but not be
> doing matrix-pixel stuff?

GEM has several maintainers and compared to GridFlow, it has better
support for solving usual problems without wasting processing power.
(GridFlow was designed to solve unusual problems.)

> framestein is for windows only?

Framestein has been unmaintained for many years.

> gridflow looks as if this has a concept similar to jitter?

Yeah, GridFlow's grid are a purer version of Jitter's matrices. (GridFlow
images have no planes and instead have an extra dimension representing the
planes).

> says mac version is "experimental" ...

And it's been like that for years. The version for OSX is slower and is
missing some important features such as cameras. Also the interoperability
with GEM can't work, due to a bug/limitation in Pd itself.

> pdp also looks like jitter, but more macro objects instead of low level
> when comparing to gridflow? says its linux + mac

In PDP there is no concept similar to GridFlow's grids or Jitter's
matrices. The message types are all separate from each other, so less
reuse is possible. In some cases, the functionality of one GridFlow object
class corresponds to two Jitter object classes, but to 3 or 4 or more
GEM/PDP object classes.

> seems to be really bad in keeping proper timing). to me it looks if
> either gridflow or pdp could be a good choice?

If you want speed, use PDP or GEM.