[PD] windows compile - one last try

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Nov 10 10:34:00 CET 2006

sven a écrit :
> max/msp is really worth the money especially if you need a gui
Learning how to make a GUI is really worth if we need a GUI.
May I ask:
how does MaxMSP gives any hint about making a pretty fast GUI?

> @damian (2): what's wrong with the pd-win32 binaries available?

We've got many things to tell about it, so let's start a topic about it,
anytime.

here's a few examples:

_ limitations of the  entries in  registry (10 libraries max)
_ no compatibility of the last versions with pdvst
 _ some undocumented set of patches, libraries, and internals
_ no compatibility of some externals (pdp, for example that might never
be available on win32 but we can try it with dowloading, burning, and
booting the last Dynebolic marvel, just for the price of the empty CDrom
and internet connection)
_ ...

Win32 has it's own limitations anyway, the Windows Midi Driver latency
is the best example I think
of what we couldn't fix under windows.
So using linux on a PC for using fully such things like PD is inevitable.
Anyway, it's hard to think that we could use a PC fully with a winOS,
without counting all security problems we could encounter on microswift
products.
So one make with what one has, and most people in pd-list are doing good
things,
everyone is allowed to put the hands in sources for improving the code.
PD core and external developpers are almost always available,
 I severly think it's not the case with the developpers market products,
but I might be wrong?
PatCo.