[PD] windows compile - one last try

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Fri Nov 10 10:38:35 CET 2006

sven wrote:

> @damian (2): what's wrong with the pd-win32 binaries available?

1) midi crashes, which I could figure out and fix for myself, if I could
compile from source
2) my entire rig tends to triple its cpu usage for no apparent reason after
a quasi-random length of time, which seems to be a vaguely repeatable
error, which I would like to compile from source to figure out
3) line doesn't have a right outlet that it bangs on completion, which I
could fix myself if compiling from source; yes I know I could just build an
abstraction but that's not the point
4) tooltips on inlets, which i could and would add myself, if i could
compile from source
5) just random crashes, which i could try to investigate/fix myself, if i
could compile from source (i have a significant amount of commercial
software development experience tracking down extremely obscure crashes in
c/c++ code)
6) i want to write my own gui objects (to match or exceed those that come
with max/msp) but i don't have a pd.lib and since i can't compile from
source i can't make my own, so actually i can't write my own gui objects.

basically, i want to use pd, and would be willing to put up with its
idiosyncracies if i could compile it myself and make changes i felt were
necessary where they were necessary. however, i can't compile it from
source, and every time i try i get either shouted at, told that the windows
version isn't really supported, or helped for a few steps and then given up
on when it becomes clear that it's not a simple newbie problem i'm
suffering, and is rather something fundamentally broken about the
administration of the windows source.

in the end i realise that i'd much rather be making music, and dealing with
this kind of crap really isn't making music.

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y