[PD] windows compile - one last try

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 10 18:36:56 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> whoooaaa!!!! that would be a reason for me to switch back to windows
> when doing pd. or would there be a way in linux to have a fast gui as
> well? (not that i plan to implement it :-) )

I think that a portable solution would be to use Tcl/Gtk instead of
Tcl/Tk, and then build a thin Tk<->Gtk emulation layer until Pd can run.

I haven't tried Tcl/Gtk (aka Gnocl). Also I don't remember whether it
fully supports libgnomecanvas-2.so, which would be required in order to
support enough Tk for Pd's needs.

I can't try it anytime soon, so if someone wants to pick up that task I
would very much appreciate it.

I'd suggest first checking whether a Tk<->Gtk emulation layer already
exists, and then try to team up with other (non-pd) people who think that
Tk is too slow.