[PD] windows compile - one last try

day 5 day5ive at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 21:54:28 CET 2006

alright,

I have to say, for the most part I agree with Yves.

If a user 'needs software right now for his/her gig tomorrow night' it
might actually be better to spend money on something like MaxMSP rather
than chasing down countless bugs on such a horrible build system like
MinGW on a proprietary box like MS-Windows.

Did you pay your $195 license fee? Microsoft has their eye on you....
remember the EULA you clicked before installing anything? That could
land you in a whole mess of legal trouble if you don't watch what you
do very closely... Rather than insult the free software efforts and
donated time of countless people it might be better in this case to
simply spend the money on the product that assuredly works within the
time you need it by so, as you say, you can have the maximum time
dedicated to making music.

The rationale? Well, someone somewhere gets paid a LOT of money to
perfect things like the Max GUI objects to work on Windows. Last time I
checked, no one gets paid in this way for developing Pd. Sure maybe
matju or Hans get paid some money by some interested party to have GEM
support in GridFlow or Hans gets paid to build the pd-extended
distribution on every *nix there is, but the point is - Your time is
also worth money.

So you can either spend some money to buy a commercial product that has
been endlessly debugged to 'perform right now for what you need it for
at this moment without issues' or you can spend your own time donating
fixes and chasing bugs that will no doubt help others along the way in
the future, in your similar situation.

Personally I find trying to compile things on Windows is like traveling
through a sewer. Sure, you get to your destination all right but at the
end when its over you say to yourself "did I really have to go through
all that just now??? Boy I smell bad"

./d5