[PD] windows compile - one last try

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 11 00:47:42 CET 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 6:37 AM, Patco wrote:

> Damian Stewart a écrit :
>>
>> because (correct me if I'm wrong) no-one else seems willing to.
>> because the feeling i get from the community here is that even if
>> i do write an incredibly detailed and amazing bug report /no-one
>> is going to care because it's the windows version/.
>>
> Have you got an example in your archive?
>> midi on windows is my main sticking point. if people care about
>> the the windows version, why is midi on windows /still/
>> 'dangerous'? surely midi control is fundamental to serious
>> performance-based usage of a program like pd?
>>
> I don't, I have not experienced crashes caused by MIDI in pd,
> anyway, I am trying to not use MIDI under windows for reasons
> explained in last post,
> and pd has nothing to do with encountered problem with this
> obsolete protocol.
>>
>> i mean building my own GUI objects, which working along with the
>> pd program itself.
> What's the efficiency problems with Toxy/[widget]? It works good on
> my machines (loads fast, doesn't lag...) and it's possible to make
> very nice things with, like a movie viewer, an explorer fork, only
> ix has done some work with it, but this work seems to be a good
> start, for making something pretty, fast and usefull.
>> i was wanting to experiment with using directx rather than tcl/tk
>> for rendering graphics to get some real high-performance stuff
>> going on,
> Really? Would you be interested about using DELPHI for this project?

FYI: the Windows builds include GriPD, which allows you to build GUIs
in GTK.

>> which is going to require building in c, which as i understand it
>> requires a pd.lib.
>>
> Well I am still a newbee and doesn't understand why pd.lib is
> required for building in C.

When building an object, it will definitely rely on code in Pd.
Windows needs to know where to find that code, so it uses pd.lib to
check that out.  But that's only need with MSVC, MinGW can just use
the DLL.

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.