Pd Sounds (was [PD] Philadelphia area PD users)

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 02:01:54 CET 2006

Hi, well, okay there IS a way... But I doubt this is possible in real
time; though I guess maybe if I make the window size smaller it MIGHT
work. My laptop doesn't actually have any kind of 3d acceleration, so
to paraphrase Chris Clepper's words "It's amazing that Gem runs at
all!"

However, I realized I could run stuff at an artificially slow speed,
and that would let me grab stuff to pix_write at a more leisurely pace
for the CPU. The only catch is, I have to make a sequencer to record
all my keystrokes, MIDI controller and joystick moves into an array
with timing based on some metro object. Then I can run things back at,
say 0.1 speed. Here's the other, more painful catch: Buried in my
patches are [line] objects that would need some multiplier, so that if
I run a show at 0.1 speed, all the times for [line] scale by that
factor. I'm not sure how much work this actually is, partly because I
haven't learned the best practices for abstraction / encapsulation,
and just keeping track of what the hell is where when programming PD.

So this would not be the smallest task, but at least possible. More
likely, I'll just get a video capture card soon, I need one anyway.

~David