[PD] windows compile - one last try

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 11 15:22:34 CET 2006

Well, hopefully you can ignore the flamebait and we can have a
fruitful discussion here.  Let's get you compiling, if you follow the
MinGW HOWTO, then post whenever you have a problem, I think we can
get you compiling without too much difficulty.  What is the last
place that didn't work?

On Nov 10, 2006, at 4:38 AM, Damian Stewart wrote:

> sven wrote:
>
>> @damian (2): what's wrong with the pd-win32 binaries available?
>
> 1) midi crashes, which I could figure out and fix for myself, if I
> could compile from source
> 2) my entire rig tends to triple its cpu usage for no apparent
> reason after a quasi-random length of time, which seems to be a
> vaguely repeatable error, which I would like to compile from source
> to figure out

These ones are always the hardest to find, but if you can find a way
to trigger it, it'll be much easier to fix.

> 3) line doesn't have a right outlet that it bangs on completion,
> which I could fix myself if compiling from source; yes I know I
> could just build an abstraction but that's not the point

What's wrong with an abstraction?  Bang-on-complete does sound like
it might be useful, but that doesn't have to be implemented in C.

> 4) tooltips on inlets, which i could and would add myself, if i
> could compile from source

There is the tooltips patch out there, Miller wasn't opposed to
including it, he just didn't like the way the current one was
implemented.  Günter said it would not be too hard to fix the
tooltips patch so that Miller wouldn't object, but I don't remember
the details.  There is some discussion in the patch tracker about it.

> 5) just random crashes, which i could try to investigate/fix
> myself, if i could compile from source (i have a significant amount
> of commercial software development experience tracking down
> extremely obscure crashes in c/c++ code)

Let's get you compiling then!  It would be awesome if we got some
bugs fixed.

> 6) i want to write my own gui objects (to match or exceed those
> that come with max/msp) but i don't have a pd.lib and since i can't
> compile from source i can't make my own, so actually i can't write
> my own gui objects.

AFAIK, you don't need pd.lib to compile with MinGW.  Using MSVC, you
just have to compile one, its the .lib version of pd.dll.

.hc