[PD] prefered way to install PD

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Nov 14 22:55:57 CET 2006

august wrote:

>> you have to generate it first, by running "autoconf" (obviously you need
>> to have autoconf installed on your system)
>

> there used to be an autogen.sh  script that would do all the autoconf
> stuff for you.   I played with it for about a half hour, using a couple
> of different versions of autotools  and got nowhere.
>
> Any reason why this "autogen.sh"  is not included?

which version of pd do you try to build?

"autogen.sh" was never part of vanilla pd.
furthermore, it does not seem to be a "standard way" to build a software
package to me ("standard" being one of: "make" or "./configure && make"
or "autoconf && ./configure && make" or "aclocal && autoconf &&
./configure && make")

the way to build vanilla pd, is:
~> cd ...pd/src
~> autoconf
~> ./configure
~> make
~> sudo make install

however, "autogen.sh" used to be part of pd-devel.
afaik, this has been replaced by a scons-based build system.
the way to build pd-devel (including desire data) is:
~> cd ...pd/src
~> scons

(use "scons -h" and/or "scons -H" to find out more about scons)

mfg.adr
IOhannes