[Pd] Serial port out

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Fri Nov 17 21:09:19 CET 2006

hello svante,

Am Freitag, 17. November 2006 18:57 schrieb Svante Hermansson:
> Christian Klippel wrote:
>   > Am Freitag, 17. November 2006 17:26 schrieb Steffen:
> >>
> >> I read about it in Delton T. Horns Music Synthesizers: A Manual of
> >> Design and Construction, if i recall correct, where the author
> >> suggested to use a S/H in connection with such a converter to save
> >> CPU power (when one wanted to keep a given CV for a period of time
> >> (faster then the port)).
> >
> > this is only usefull if you want to digitize a changing signal. you use
> > the s&h circuit (usually just a capacitor and a switch) to "freeze" the
> > current value, so it stays stable while you digitze it. to digitize a
> > signal, you basically need a dac, s&h and comparator. you load the s&h,
> > set a value at the dac, and compare the two voltages with the comparator.
> > you change the dac value so long until you have a match between the two
> > voltages. then you discharge the s&h, and go ahead with the next sample.
>
> Not only useful for digitizing an analog sample into the digital world,
> but also useful as a multiplexer. If you build a converter using one
> single ADC, you could share it to say 8 channels by sending them one at
> a time. Often (but not always) cheaper and easier than using 8 normal
> ADC's. Multiplexing with S&H works even on a low pass filtered
> PWM-signal if thats what someone (?) was planning on using...

you are right. but that also implies that the outputs are updated
periodically, even if the value doesnt change. also, you need a buffering
op-amp with high input impedance, to keep the voltage stable between the
updates (a too high load will discharge the cap in the s&h). that continous
update may also cause some ripple on the output, a thing that needs to be
considered if you go for high resolution, like 16 bits....

nowdays you can get 8 channel, 12 bit dac's (like the tlv5610) for a low
price, so i doubt that it is worth going the s&h way nowdays.

greets,

chris