[PD] CPU cost II

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Nov 21 07:23:21 CET 2006

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Marius Schebella wrote:

> but for example, when I plan to use a minimac, I would like to know how
> many videos can I add with which resolution. I also know that with a
> good graphic card I can render more GEM objects than with some big cpus,
> but a crappy gfx card. I was also thinking of having a [dsp] object
> interact with the framerate within a patch. thanks, anyway for thinking
> about that problem!

I need a global variable in pd, which gets maintained to contain a pointer
to which object is the currently running object. This needs to intercept
all message-passing and all perform-calls. All it needs is update that
variable.

When I get that, I can make a profiler that is much more efficient than
the one I had made for GridFlow, if I can use SIGPROF or SIGALRM or
SIGVTALRM. (Windows programmers will have to figure out what the
substitute is)