new HID WAS: [PD] Ergates game-like audiovisual instrument

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Sun Nov 26 16:58:13 CET 2006

Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 12:01:32PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> On Nov 23, 2006, at 8:20 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>>
>>> Since Hans pointed out it doesn't work under OSX, I think the next
>>> best
>>> option is for me to write an external that uses SDL calls to read from
>>> the joystick, since that library works on all platforms. Will report
>>> back here when that's done.
>>>
>> When I started [hid], I explored many options including SDL.  It
>> provides a very limited interface to the devices, but is relatively
>> easy to use.  I suppose an SDL object would be useful in specific
>> circumstances, like on obscure platforms.  Do you have a specific
>> problem with [hid] besides not working on Windows?
>>

> Not at all. If [hid] was working on Windows, and easy to compile on
> Linux, I think I'd go with that.
>

>> You could also join Olaf Matthes, David Merrill, and I on working on
>> the next generation of [hidin]/[hid]/[input_noticer] that will work
>> on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.  By lucky chance, David was in NYC
>> so we met yesterday about this.  And by another lucky chance, Olaf is
>> getting into NYC and we are going to be meeting about this soon.
>>

> That sounds really cool. I look forward to a time when it's easy to
> get joystick events into Pd in a cross-platform way. In the meantime
> I might write a very simple SDL external to do just what I need, or
> persue Frank's idea of wrapping [joystick] and [hid] depending on the
> platform. I'd definately switch to what you guys are working on once
> it's working on all platforms though.

Yes, being able to easily connect a joystick on any platform should be a
right, not a privilege within PD. :) We'll be getting started asap.
Also, in general I think that there are neat possibilities for hacking
other off-the-shelf hardware for instrument-building - to build the
sensor into another instrument. Like many of the new wireless optical
mice that have been released for really cheap lately.. For less than
$10USD, they present a cheap, wireless 2D motion sensor that will also
work with HID. Also, I'm looking forward to the price coming down on these:
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/cut-the-cord-usb-runs-free-with-freescale-149775.php
Power it with a battery and build it into your device, and your
instrument can have several such hacked USB peripherals connected
wirelessly back to your PC-as-synth.
cheers,
-David