[PD] [Gem] performance issues on ubuntu (no hardware accel?)

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Tue Nov 28 13:04:40 CET 2006

Roman Haefeli a écrit :
> it still think, that i have 'good' acceleration. for example i can run
> opengl based games like armagetron in fullscreen mode without any
> performance problems. also does xscreensaver run without using much cpu
> in fullscreen mode. i tried once to build something with a similar
> number of polygons like one of the screensaver animations in gem, but at
> least when i switch to fullscreen mode, my cpu goes to 100% and the
> framerate dramatically drops down to 5 frames per second or slower.
> because of this behaviour, i believe that gem is the only opengl based
> software on my computer, that does *not* use hardware acceleration,
> whereas it seems that other programs do. unfortunately i still don't
> know a reliable way to make sure, whether gem uses hardware acceleration
> or not,  besides comparing its performance with other software.
ok.

anyway,
on my computer, when i create a gem window, i'v got this on the pd log :

Direct Rendering enabled!
GEM: Start rendering

so, this tell you that you do (or do not) have direct rendering with Gem.

> my problem in other words:
> how can i make sure at compile time, that gem is compiled so, that it
> uses hardware acceleration afterwards?

> and i am still hoping to hear some succes stories....

well, there is no reason that gem did not work.
i used fglrx with warty and hoary (it was a ati radeon mobility 9000 i think). now, i use nvidia card...

your ./configure output look ok for me.
can you double check that you have all fglrx-dev package etc...

sorry, can't help more

cyrille