[PD] playing video+sound with Gem

sven ml.sven at subscience.de
Tue Nov 28 15:02:01 CET 2006

>sven,
>why do you need to know the framerate? i think actually just the kHz
>rate of the sample needs to be known. then if sample and video have
>the same length and you have the total number of frames... just
>devide them with the total of samples and you will know which frame
>goes with which sample, or not?
>no dead_chicken.txt in the end?

i've tested that with gem already a while ago and sometimes i got the wrong number of frames.
never really investigated why gem would report wrong number of frames.
and how to get the samplerate info of an audio file?
i'm sure there could be a way that doesn't need the extra info but i prefer flexibility / reliability
and besides audio / videoinfos the extra file can also be used to store a lot more meta
information that can be useful sooner or later. this of course depends on what you want
to do.
anyway the method above always works / worked for me so i didn't really bother to invest
more time to eliminate the need for the chicken.

sven.