[PD] GRiPD and shell don't play well together

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Wed Nov 29 12:58:08 CET 2006

David Powers wrote:
> On 11/28/06, John Harrison <john.harrison at wichita.edu> wrote:
>> I know the GRiPD is no
>> longer maintained, but it happens to be perfect for our project so at
>> least in the short term it makes sense for us to use.
>
> Just out of curiousity, why did this project die? It seems to be one
> of the most promising/interesting approaches I've seen to using PD.
> Especially because of the severe problems that PD Gui objects
> currently cause in terms of hogging CPU...
Here's all I could find on our list from the developer:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-07/029962.html

> Although, admittedly it might be just as easy to run PD without the
> GUI and send OSC messages with an interface built in (insert program
> of choice). Is that why it's obsolete? I've been meaning to try this
> approach but haven't yet had the chance.
Is there a program you would recommend that would be as quick as GRiPD
for designing an interface to work with Pd? Building an interface with
wxwidgets/Python would certainly take a lot longer than using
GRiPD...but are there other options?

-John