[PD] GRiPD and shell don't play well together

alberto.zin at poste.it alberto.zin at poste.it
Thu Nov 30 10:10:13 CET 2006

Hi Patco,

>alberto.zin at poste.it a écrit :
>> The GUI itself was not hungry in terms of cpu load
>> (the 46% you can see in the screenshot
>> is just the 128 bp filters in parallel in the patch ;-)
>>
>puredata.info is too busy and doesn't respond, could you
>put your
>screenshot anywhere else?

find it in attachemnt (bad quality and large file, sorry)..
Nothing extremely sophisticated/complicated but
functional.

> Using graph-of-parent is less complicated and more
> efficient.

yes, it is!

> With adding toxy/widget, a pd interface could even blow a
> professional
> user interface, but it requires some skills in tcl
> scripting,

Well, depends on what you mean by "blowing".
PD is self-consistent in this point (gui made with
the same language used in patching), and this
is probably an advantage. But we have examples of
GUIS (the first that comes to my mind: tapestrea)
that we probably will never see in PD (or at a price
of a intensive re-working) because of its basic
architectural choices. Which is not a bad point, I repeat.

> or just
> *sarcastic mode*
> brain cells for figuring out how to use tcl-tk widgets for
> using the
> work made by ix and MiXed.
> *end of sarcastic mode*,

This may be true for some people but not for all.
Some users do not want to dig into the programming
machinery (even if Tcl-Tk *is* easy) because they are
more "musically" oriented than programming-oriented.
On the other side, selecting PD to make music (or whatever)
already tell us that the user in some
sense "loves programming algoritmically" and does not
want only take sounds out-from-the-black-magic-box
(who said VST's? Joking :).

All the best,

Alberto

salutations,
Patco.

Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes
vos questions !
Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences
des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com

Alberto Zin

http://puredata.org/Members/AlbertoZ