[PD] bang when phasor~ reaches 1

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun Dec 3 05:16:53 CET 2006

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:57:44 +0100
Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
> padawan12 hat gesagt: // padawan12 wrote:
>
> > I guess just because they drift off. Or at least you cant be sure of
> > keeping them together.
>

> > Sometimes you want a whole bunch of things to all happen "synchronously", to
> > all happen in the same phase every time. An example is the paf~ algorithm,
> > and here's little drum machine example attached. So you usually
> > have just one phasor that is your master timebase and derive everything
> > from that.
>
> [metro] with [vline~] won't drift off, as I wrote in the previous
> mail, it is equivalent to [phasor~] and can almost be used as a
> drop-in replacement. ([metro] has an artificial lower period boundary
> of 1ms, but you can use a [delay] based metro-clone, if that is a
> problem.)

Nice Frank, this is a great way of getting an LFO. Is it just me
though or is [expr ] really slow? I try to avoid it because almost
every patch that uses [expr] on my machine runs about 50% slower than
the equivilent arithmetic using atomic ops.

> The disadvantage of [metro~]/[vline~] is that you cannot change the
> frequency in a smooth way, because, as you write, [metro] generates
> discrete events. The advantage of [metro]/[vline~] is, that it is
> possible to reset the phase without getting errors from the 64-samples
> quantization that [phasor~]'s right inlet has: The phase of a
> [phasor~] can only be reset every 64 samples, that is with usual
> sample rates at a quantization of about 1.5 msec. This definitely can
> be a problem if you want a tight synching of sequences.
>
> I made a variation of your drum machine to illustrate this effect. One
> drumset here is driven by a [vhasor~] abstraction which almost is a
> [phasor~] clone, built with metro and vline~. If you let both patterns
> run together and switch on the phase-reset-metro you will get flanging
> effects which are the fault of the inaccuracy of the phase-inlet of
> the [phasor~] object.

OK, I tried that. I can hear the flanging and it's pretty severe.
Thanks for pointing it out, the 64 sample grain annoying. I think for
many compositional uses you only need to set relative phases once at
the start, but I can see it being a royal pain in the ass if you need
to re-sync parts.

Cheers,
Andy