[PD] Gem: can't load library

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:25:55 CET 2006

On 12/4/06, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >

> > Since many people have non-nvidia cards, would it be possible to make
> > the default Gem build not dependent on nvidia-specific stuff?  Then
> > there could be --enable-nvidia for people who want that.
>
> no.
> as said before, i see (!) configure as a way to build a package
> optimized for the machine that configure is executed on.
> it is not a tool to make the most stripped down version.

Since performance is quite vital to the software working in the intended
manner, we make decisions based on what provides the most efficient path in
the code not some generic computer spec.  At the same time we don't really
limit what hardware can run GEM even though there are certainly hardware and
driver set ups entirely unsuitable for the software.