[PD] Gem: can't load library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 4 21:15:38 CET 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> hi marius
>
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 11:30 -0500, marius schebella wrote:
>> hi,
>> may I join you in that discussion?
>> I understand now that the Gem package in the pd-extended is built for
>> nvidia support and does not run without a nvidia card. correct?
>> But what I want to know is, (I don't know so much about configure
>> scripting..) when I build my own Gem and have NO nvidia card, will I
>> have to type --disable-NV? that would not make sense to me...
>> I would like to compile my Gem later today. so thnx for answers.
>> marius.
>>

> i might be wrong, but as far as i understand the idea of a configure
> script, it is here, to check if all libraries are installed, that are
> needed to run the binary, that you are going to compile, also where
> they
> are, and also if some optional libraries are there, which may improve
> the functionality of your binary to compile. if a certain optional
> funcionality is non-existent on your computer (e.g. nvidia
> extension), ./configure should automatically disable it, when
> generating
> the makefile. if the configure doesn't print errors, you can expect,
> that the binary you are going to compile will work (at least on your
> system).
>
> in your case, when you execute ./configure, it should print something
> like:
>
>     using NV-extensions  : no
>
> that means, you don't need to add the flag '--disable-NV' to
> configure.
>
> i hope i could help
>
> roman

Here's the result from the Ubuntu/dapper autobuild machine (they are
all the same hardware).  Its showing NV as enabled:

Result:
   Target                 : Gem.pd_linux
   Objects                : Base Controls Geos Manips Nongeos
Particles Pixes openGL

Configuration:
   Compiler               : g++
   CXXFLAGS               : -g -O2 -fPIC -freg-struct-return -O3 -
falign-loops=32 -falign-functions=32 -falign-jumps=32 -funroll-loops -
ffast-math -mmmx
			 : -I/usr/include/ffmpeg -I/usr/include/lqt   -I/usr/include/lqt
-I/usr/include/avifile-0.7   -I/usr/include/ffmpeg -I/usr/include/
freetype2
   INCLUDES               :  -I/usr/include/FTGL -I/usr/include/
freetype2
   DEFINES		 :

   LIBS                   : -ldv -lmpeg -lmpeg3 -ljpeg -ltiff -lGLU -
lGL -lXext -lXext -lX11 -ldl -lz -lm   -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lpthread
			 : -lGLU -lGL -lfreetype -lz -lftgl_pic   -lavformat_pic -
lavcodec_pic -lavutil_pic -lvorbis -lvorbisenc -ltheora -logg -
ldts_pic -la52 -lraw1394 -ldc1394_control -lgsm -lz -lm -laviplay   -
L/usr/lib -lquicktime -lpthread -lm -lz -ldl -lquicktime -lpthread -
lm -lz -ldl   -lMagick++ -lMagick
   LDFLAGS		 : -shared -Wl,-export-dynamic -lGLU -lGL -lfreetype -lz -
lftgl_pic
			 :  -L/usr/X11R6/lib

   Strip			 : strip --strip-unneeded

   Install path           : /usr/local

  pure-data:
   version                : 0.0

  used optional libraries:

   font-rendering         : FTGL

   image-support
     use ImageMagick      : yes
     use TIFF             : yes
     use JPEG             : yes
   video-support
     use mpeg             : yes
     use mpeg-3           : yes
     use QuickTime        : yes
     use aviplay          : yes
     use ffmpeg           : yes
   input-support
     use v4l              : yes
     use ieee1394         : yes

   misc
     using ARB-extensions : yes
     using NV-extensions  : yes
     using reg-struct-ret : yes

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom