[PD] Send array values through OSC

Jerome Tuncer columbiatwo at free.fr
Mon Dec 4 20:41:02 CET 2006

Hallo,

IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> Jerome Tuncer wrote:
>> Hi padawan12
>>
>> padawan12 a écrit :
>>> I've only played with OSC a little, but some things that come to mind:
>>>
>>> 1) OSC lets you pack things into "bundles" and it might be better to
>>> use blocks of 32 or 64 values rather than sending each one individually.
>>> That way your packet overhead is smaller.
>>>
>> I didn't dig very much much into what OSC bundles were all about but it
>> seems to me that it looks more like something to send messages to
>> multiple destinations at the same time than to send multiple values to
>> only one dest. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
>
> i am happy to correct you here.
> OSC bundles are about logical time: each message in an OSC bundle will
> be at received at the same logical time (bundles have time stamps,
> messages don't).
> it has nothing to do with broadcasting or the like.

That's kind of what I meant. Except that I had not had coffee yet :
"multiple destinations" were supposed to mean different OSC receive
names but on same machine ! Wasn't I clear ?! I must admit I wasn't at
all (-:

> however i doubt whether bundles make so much sense here: i would just
> send "raw" data over the link (a list of floats you want to display;
> probably 2 lists, if you want an xy-scope), instead of sending x,y-pairs
> in separate messages (just think of all the OSC-selectors you will have
> to send with no additional information)

That's precisely the point: sending a list of floats except that OSC
messages don't seem to be able to handle lists. To be more precise, they
sort of do but I have to convert them to symbol first and they still
come out as lists. Check out my example patch (zexy and OSCx libs
needed) that illustrates my first idea on how to transmit my list.
tabset doesn't seem to work here. I'd say it should, shouldn't it?

Anyway, seeing the patch should make my desire more understable and I'm
sure someone has a smartre idea...

> another idea would be to use audio directly via some audio-routing
> framework (jack)....

This would be a good solution for me, I'd have to dig into what I once
heard was called netjack.