[PD] Gem: can't load library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 4 22:28:14 CET 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> I think that all the optimization that you guys have done is great.
>> But it would be very helpful to a lot of people if the optimization
>> did not prevent those of us with older hardware from even starting
>> Gem.
>
> To add a political note: "... and those of us who try to run a
> system consisting of only/mostly free software." Well, these people
> probably know how to build Gem themselves ...

I want to make sure that's not a requirement.  I think that it would
be great if everyone knew how to build Gem from source.  I think it
definitely should not be a requirement for using Gem with free software.

I have encountered quite a few people who were not techies at all,
but were sick of Windows, so they installed Ubuntu.  They were
getting very frustrated with this idea that they should have to spend
weeks figuring out how to get things working that worked fine on
Windows.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams