[PD] Midi sequencing

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Mon Dec 4 23:56:07 CET 2006

carmen wrote:
> On Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 09:20:02PM +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
>> hi cypod
>>
>> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:22 -0800, Cypod wrote:
>>
>>> Hi PD list,
>>>   Can anybody recommend a midi sequencing application that works well
>>> with pd and possibly jack?
>>>
>> what you mean by 'works well' is heavily dependent on what you intend to
>> do. when using midi or streaming sound around, i see no other way than
>> using jack as a communication layer between the application and
>> puredata. from that point, any app that has jack-ability works
>> technically well with pd.
>>

> PD's [midiin]s can recieve from jack midi ports?
>
> if not, maybe you mean to suggest alsa MIDI.. and an external sequencer.
>
> if it was me i'd convert the midi to floats right off, and store it using pool/pdcontainer and edit with a nice tk widget..

Hi Carmen,
maybe you'me missed my message on LAU list. I was asking for help to
install your ix widgets. They seem a lot of fun from the screenshots.

I'm almost there. I've compiled and installed all the required tk
packages, but I suspect BLT isn't working (I have used a precompiled
binary found somewhere since the official source didn't compile with tk
8.5a, which I use).

Some widgets load, but mat.wig and lg.wig don't. I get these errors for
mat.wid:

mat .x8254708.c.n1826a648 n1826a648
tcl error: in ::toxy::longvishook: invalid command name "::ix::mat_new"
miXed consistency check failed: widgettype_doload

lg.wid gives this:
tcl error: invalid command name "blt::graph"

which is obviously related to BLT.

I would also like to know how to start the custom pd gui. I've tried with:

wish pd_base.tk

but it complains about the missing 'pre8.5.tcl' source file.

I plan to learn to make my own widgets, but I've just started playing
with tcl /tk and the widget external.

Anyway as far as I've understood you use osc to talk between your
widgets and pd. Is it right?

I'm asking this because I'm making similar widgets within the  squeak
smalltalk environment (www.squeak.org) using OSC as protocol. So, if
this is the case, it would be more pratical for me to keep working with
these tools I know a bit more.

Thank you.

c.

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com