[PD] Gem: can't load library

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 4 23:25:59 CET 2006

Hallo,
Arie van Schutterhoef hat gesagt: // Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:

> -I spend this summer trying to get Ubuntu work on an iMac and was rather
>  astonished by the discovery that it had trouble with something simple
>  like video-card (ATI) drivers.

Video-cards aren't simple at all, they are one of the most complex
pieces of hardware in your little iMac. Some manufacturers do not
provide sufficient information to developers to properly support all
features of their graphics chipsets. ATI is one of the two large
manufacturers who are guilty of this. The other one is NVidia. NVidia
at least provides decent binary drivers, but those must not be
distributed by anyone else than Nvidia, so they cannot be shipped with
Ubuntu or any other free Linux distribution.

Ciao