[PD] Gem: can't load library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 4 23:37:37 CET 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 5:26 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>

> Ok, wait I think I misunderstood.  You are saying that the ancient
> ATI card in the autobuild machines might support the nvidia
> extensions, and they are being properly detected.  I thought you mean
> whether the card was nvidia or not (neither are).
>
> There are extensions to OpenGL which are vendor specific and some
> vendors may support ones that are not their own.  In this case
> glDeleteProgramsNV has to do with vertex and fragment shaders and
> Nvidia had their own extension before it was approved by the review
> board for full GL status.  I think that glDeleteProgramsNV could be
> removed since glDeleteProgramsARB covers the same functionality.
>
> It seems to load from the command line with -nogui, I am testing now
> whether I can load an object.
>
> The ATI drivers should not define the NV extension in the headers
> if it is not supported by the driver.  All GEM does is have an
> #ifdef for the presence of that extension and then builds with it
> enabled or not.
>
> So, does the autobuild GEM run on the autobuild machine?

Yup, Gem loads and so does [gemwin].  An ATI from 1998 supports some
NVidia extensions that a current ATI does not support, crazy...

I am thinking for the Pd-0.39.2-extended release, Gem should be
compiled with --disable-NV, but it can stay as is on the nightly
builds if that's useful to y'all.

All information should be free.  - the hacker ethic