[PD] Midi sequencing

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Mon Dec 4 23:33:15 CET 2006

> maybe you'me missed my message on LAU list. I was asking for help to install your ix widgets. They seem a lot of fun from the screenshots.
> tcl error: in ::toxy::longvishook: invalid command name "::ix::mat_new"
> miXed consistency check failed: widgettype_doload

yeah i saw that. sorry, unable to help at the moment as ive been using a 64bit computer/OS for the past 3 years, and devel pd freezes on launch, desire crashes 3 seconds after launch, and msp fails to connect to any audio interfaces. additionally, [widget] needs to be fixed for the latest PD version, many 0.1 version bumps on the Tk libs broke widgets, and platform differences in when drawing structs are updated meant id have to specialcase a lot of platform and error conditions (eg divide by zero in [winfo height]) due to toxy's roughshod 'rewrite tk into pd-escaped code and shuttle it over the GUI socket and hope it all gets executed' tactics.

'Mat' is an exception anyways, since it began as a piano roll (if you remember pd_sucks.PNG) and was extended to the point of being able to host my other widgets, slightly rewritten from their toxy versions. this is the one widget where any cool features it had (floating inspector, Illustrator/Inkscape style object alignment(quantization/distribution), and tagged/labeled selection would be better ported to the main desire canvas class (and make some kind of 'Note' object with a flexible representation, veering towards reimplmeneting 'datastructures'). i'll mention it when i get around to adding options to DD's build files to support GCC's -m32 mode, and port the widgets..

they use PD protocol. just flat lists.. if you want to use OSC to control things, theres another similar project called Khagan: http://khagan.berlios.de/

> I'm asking this because I'm making similar widgets within the  squeak smalltalk environment (www.squeak.org) using OSC as protocol. So, if this is the case, it would be
> more pratical for me to keep working with these tools I know a bit more.

this sounds cool. keep us posted on progress..