[pd] a simple, user friendly place to post and link to patches, externals, libraries, etc.

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Dec 5 14:46:31 CET 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> oh, i was calculating "at least 2" clicks for uploading the file for:
> 1 click to pop up a file-browser
> 0-n clicks to navigate to the correct folder
> 1 click to choose the file
>
> this makes at least 2 clicks in the file-selection which you cannot get
> around.
>
> which makes the score 3 : 3.5
> i guess this is pretty near to the ideal (but could of course be improved).
>

> so i still do not see clearly what is wrong.

OK, last comment on this interesting but OT thread.

And yes, I did not count the clicks inside the "open file" dialog. But
as much as people like to count things around here, that is *seriously*
nitpicking ;-)

It's not the "click count" that is wrong. It is just not very
user-friendly to have to go looking for the thing you just uploaded in
order to attach meta-data like comments to it when this could be done at
upload time. This would be the most intuitive way of handling it, rather
than letting the default architecture of Plone decide how to do it.

And an RSS feed of uploaded files might not be a bad thing. Or at least
an automated post to the PD list like "UserX has uploaded a file to the
PD website". Then, when a tree falls in the Wikki, someone does hear it.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl