[PD] font to include in Pd-extended packages

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 5 19:01:05 CET 2006

I'd like to propose that we include a default font in the Pd-extended
packages and that anything that uses fonts use the included font.  I
know that the aesthetics of fonts are generally very contentious, I
would like to avoid that issue entirely.  Instead this is an issue of
usability.  People can use and learn much quicker if there is a
default font setup that's easy to use.

So we need a font that is compatible with the GPLv2, since Pd-
extended is distributed under that license.  I found Gentium, which
is released under the Open Font License, which is a free license (FSF
and DFSG approved).

Using Gentium as a default font would not prevent people from using
whatever font they wanted, it would just be the default so that font
things "just work" when you try them.  Also Gentium has very good
support for as many languages as possible.

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

Including it in the package is easy.  I am posting this email in the
hopes that I can get the developers of Gem, Gridflow, PDP, PiDiP and
whatever else uses fonts to use this as the default.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith