[PD] after pokesdown

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 08:30:51 CET 2006

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:58:48 +0100
padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk wrote:

> It's a year since I wrote my first Puredata music, so ..

Wow, thanks for all the very kind words peeps.

An important goal has been proven for me. They were designed to share. I keep
seeing Pd as vital part of what MPEG4-SA was always supposed to be, but never
really achieved; a way of delivering music as code for clientside evaluation.
Presumably they play OK for everyone, that's just the upshot of writing only in
"Miller Vanilla" and avoiding any externs not in the most basic distros.
Comparing this to my old way of working on TV music, I would
have to keep track of so many file formats, midi, VST plugins, or worst of
all on Protools when everything was stored in one monster proprietry blob
along with redundant data. It tied me and my colleagues to a particular
studio setup, or required hours "exporting and importing" between
applications. Everything revolved around mixes, samples, crystalised
and clinically trimmed to the beat loops. Yuck!
This way everything stays as fluid *data* right until the last moment, so
it can even be parameterised in situ, which is exactly what is needed for
games or interactive application music.

And I'm touched that some people rather like the musical result, not just
the technical production.

Anyway, that remix represents a sort of yearly review of progress, progress
I owe entirely to this list and all of your advice and critical wisdom. This
piece of music belongs to the Pd community.
Cheers all,

Andy