[PD] hid/linux: event permission

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Wed Dec 6 16:06:18 CET 2006

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 09:22 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>>> Basically, you can either change the perms of the devices, or add your
>>> user to the "root" group.
>>>

>> do i read correctly that you are proposing to add your user to the
>> "root" group?
>>
>> i would rather change the group of /dev/input/event* via /etc/udev/rules.d/
>> (and add myself to this group).
>>

> hi IOhannes, hi list
>
> this sounds so easy, but it is not, at least for me. although this might
> be off-topic, i'd like to ask the list, how to do this step-by-step,
> since everyone, who uses [hid] on a linux-box, is confronted with that
> question. the ugly solution i am using for now, is to change the
> permissions manually each time i boot the computer and want to use a
> joystick.
>
> thanks for any suggestions
>
> roman

In my opinion, this is the cleanest way to do it:

- First add your account to the 'audio' group:

edit /etc/group and find the line that starts with 'audio'. Add your
account after the colons. For instance In my '/etc/group' have:

audio::17:cesarem

The group number could be different.

- Then edit /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules:

Find the line that starts with ' "KERNEL="event*", '. Change the
permissions as "0660" and add the 'audio' group.

Here I have:

KERNEL="event*",        NAME="input/%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="audio"

Ciao,

c.

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com