[PD] hid/linux: event permission with udev

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 6 16:50:52 CET 2006

hi IOhannes

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 15:01 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> >
> > this sounds so easy, but it is not, at least for me. although this might
> > be off-topic, i'd like to ask the list, how to do this step-by-step,
> > since everyone, who uses [hid] on a linux-box, is confronted with that
> > question. the ugly solution i am using for now, is to change the
> > permissions manually each time i boot the computer and want to use a
> > joystick.
>
> adding this line to /etc/udev/permissions.rules (on a debian system)
> KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", MODE="0664",     GROUP="games"

thank you very much for providing this information.

> should give you rw-rw-r permissions (and the group will be set to "games")
> choose your own group and mode.
>
> this is something you i have guessed by just looking at the /etc/udev/
> directory and the contents of some files therein. i do not doubt that
> there is lot of information available in the net.

yes, there is, maybe to much and too confusing for someone like me....
since this wasn't asked before in the list and at the same time it
concerns so many people, i still believe it was a good choice to ask the
list. why should so many people find that out themselves and possibly
spend hours on that ( i admit i sometimes/often spend hours on rather
*stupid* things like that), when this could be stated once forever in a
thread containing the keywords 'hid' 'linux' 'event' 'permission' 'udev'
in its subject?

roman