[PD] Gem: can't load library

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 6 20:51:01 CET 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:50 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> marius schebella wrote:
>> yup, still no luck with Gem here...
>> when compiling cvs Gem on the machine with the Radeon X300 card, I
>> got
>> rid of the glDeleteProgramsNV error.
>> but I can not play any movies. Pd either crashed or showed only
>> one color.
>> I downgraded ubuntu to libgl1-mesa 6.4 (before it was 6.5).
>> also no glDeleteProgramsNV problem, but no movies ( I test with the
>> examples patch from the help.) at least Pd does not crash...
>> So I am back to the debian package of Gem (v 0.90) which does not
>> make
>> problems.
>> iohannes, what do you want to know from me to locate that problem?
>> with ...Gem/04.pix/05.film.pd I get the following console output:
>> pix_film:: quicktime support
>> pix_film:: libmpeg3 support
>> pix_film:: libaviplay support
>> pix_film:: libmpeg support
>> GEM: Start rendering
>> GL: invalid value
>> [pix_filmNEW]: opening
>> /usr/local/lib/pd//doc/examples/Gem/04.pix/../data/anim-1.mov with
>> format 1908
>> [pix_filmNEW]:  ...
>> [pix_filmNEW]:  ...
>> [pix_filmNEW]: loaded file:
>> /usr/local/lib/pd//doc/examples/Gem/04.pix/../data/anim-1.mov with 90
>> frames (256x256) at 30.000000 fps
>> but the texture is not rendered correctly. The whole cube is
>> brownish.
>> marius.

First, I forgot to mention, we are currently building up a 9-computer/
projector/screen system with 5.1 sound here at Polytechnic.  I had to
overcome resistance in order to use Pd with this, so I'd really like
this to work out well.  So I appreciate all the help like this with
bug fixes, etc that you can offer.  Plus, I think it will be a good
showcase for Pd/Gem.

The first step is getting video playback working, then we plan on
doing interactive stuff, maybe making a single OpenGL space built up
from the 9 screens.

So, now to answer your questions:

> you could try to change whether rectangle-texturing is used by
> sending a
> [mode 0/1( message to [pix_texture] (or [pix_movie]).

> tell us whether it works.

Yes, for more info, see bug report:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1609736&group_id=55736&atid=478070

> and which drivers you are using (i guess you yould run the X300 with
> "fglrx" and "radeon" and "ati" and "vesa")

It is now using fglrx from Ubuntu, but this also happened with the
"ati" driver (default Ubuntu driver), and also in VESA modes.

> and please send the output of glxinfo (_without_ the long list of
> visual
> modes)

This is from the current driver:
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
     GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
     GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
     GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier,
     GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
     GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
     GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
     GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X300/X550 Series Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.5814 (8.25.18)
OpenGL extensions:
     GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
     GL_S3_s3tc, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_fragment_program,
     GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_fragment_shader,
     GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_occlusion_query,
GL_ARB_point_parameters,
     GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_shader_objects,
GL_ARB_shading_language_100,
     GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
     GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
     GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,
     GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
     GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
     GL_ARB_vertex_blend, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,
GL_ARB_vertex_program,
     GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
     GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_element_array, GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap,
     GL_ATI_fragment_shader, GL_ATI_map_object_buffer,
GL_ATI_separate_stencil,
     GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATI_texture_float,
     GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ATI_vertex_array_object,
     GL_ATI_vertex_attrib_array_object, GL_ATI_vertex_streams,
     GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATIX_texture_env_route,
     GL_ATIX_vertex_shader_output_point_size, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra,
     GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
GL_EXT_blend_minmax,
     GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint,
     GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord,
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object,
     GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
GL_EXT_point_parameters,
     GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
     GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
     GL_EXT_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_texture3D,
     GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,
     GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
     GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
     GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp,
     GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle,
GL_EXT_vertex_array,
     GL_EXT_vertex_shader, GL_HP_occlusion_test, GL_NV_blend_square,
     GL_NV_occlusion_query, GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
GL_SGI_color_matrix,
     GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp,
     GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_lod,
GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
     GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

This is from the "ati" driver:
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
     GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
     GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
     GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier,
     GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
     GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
     GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
     GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
OpenGL extensions:
     GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
     GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
     GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
     GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
     GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
     GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
     GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
     GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith