[PD] nightly builds on intel mac

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Thu Dec 7 21:50:28 CET 2006

On 07/12/2006, at 1.51, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Try again tomorrow (2006-12-07).

It seams the same. Fx. it doesn't open patches, neither from the help-
browser (that does open) or the file browser (that also does open).
There come no output when clicking the DIO button. It eats +/-55% cpu
time, normally Pd eats 10-15 % if it doesn't do anything.

Attached is the output i get when launching the nightly builds from
Terminal with Verbose enabled and -stderr as the startup flag - both
set via the prefs panel.  By ignoring the "verbose" output it boils
down to:  "audio I/O stuck... closing audio".

That leads me to a question/observation. It seam that the "debugging"
method of starting Pd form Terminal with the -stderr flag does not
help and does not give the same output as if the -stderr flag is set
via the prefs panel.

When -stderr is not set in the pref panel, 'Pd -stderr' and 'Pd'
executed from Terminal result in the same output, which is sent to
the Terminal window.
When -stderr is set in the pref panel, 'Pd -stderr' and 'Pd' executed
from Terminal also result in the same output, which is sent to the Pd
window.

Not only is the output sent to different places it is also not the
same. And the info of the one is a subset of the other, which is when
-stderr was set in the prefs panel. Hence my conclusion is that, If
the -stderr flag are to be of any use, it is to be set via the pref
panel?

I have two more "observations". The fist being that when one shut
this nightly build, it doesn't shut completely. When launched there
are two processes 'Pd-0.39.2-extended-2006-12-07' and 'pd'. When
closed only the Pd-0.39.2-extended-2006-12-07 gets shot, while the
other is very much alive (and eating cpu all it can).

The other observation is that the this intel build bundle has intel
build external (zexy/sum.pd_darwin are fx intel build (only)) while
fx. Pd-0.39.2-extended-2006-12-07.app/Contents/MacOS/Pd-0.39.2-
extended-2006-12-07 is a socalled universal binary build. Further
more, the ppc counterpart has ppc build externals (again, fx. zexy/
sum.pd_darwin) and ppc build (not universal build) Pd-0.39.2-
extended-2006-12-07 binary.