[PD] fmbox patch for d/l, improv

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:48:15 CET 2006

Hello,

I've made my first pd instrument.  It's a 16 (I think...) op FM patch
with selectable wave types run through a voltage controlled filter,
with delay and reverb.  I created a GUI for it, but I usually control
it with a Behringer BCF-2000 midi controller.  I find it somewhat
useful for abstract tones and texture - can sound pretty rough or
subtle depending on how it is set.  In any event, I've been playing it
for a few weeks now and I've gotten some nice things out of it,
disturbance-esque Sachiko M. tone type things.

Required libs: freeverb~ for the reverb section, can easily be
disconnected though.

It's available for download at:
http://art.sewanee.edu/mccoy/pdpatches/fmbox.zip

Comments and suggestions welcome...  Is anyone else doing similar
things to this (non-generative instruments/envs for live performance)?
 I'm looking for more ideas :)  I have experimented with adding
amplitude envelopes to each of the 4 main sources but it turned a
little bit drone-like and feedback sounding for my taste.

Also, if anyone knows, on an optimization note: do send~ and receive~
cause any difference in cpu-time compared to just straight
connections?

Kevin