[PD] pix_record mixed pixes

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Dec 8 04:48:57 CET 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 01:00:04PM -0600, chris clepper wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Danks, Mark <MDanks at ea.com> wrote:
> >   Reversing the order pix_invert and pix_record will still apply the
> >invert?it will just happen after the pix_record happens.
>
> That is a much clearer way to say what I was try to say.  The inversion will
> not be applied to the image input to pix_record, but the processing would
> still happen.

Well, I don't want to speak for Matju, but I think what he's saying is
that he realises this, but it is counter intuitive and suprising. If I
have a dsp or message graph and I send the output of something through
some modifiers, I don't expect those modifiers to be automatically applied
to another cable going somewhere else. I expect modifiers further down
the tree to only effect things on the same branch. Essentially, when
patching Gem, you have to be even more aware of the order of operations
than when just regularly patching dsp, because operations on one branch
of the graph can affect operations on another branch of the graph. I
guess one way to 'fix' that (and break backwards compatability) would
be perform a GLPushMatrix every time there is a fork in the graph,
and a GLPopMatrix every time you get to a leaf node.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx