[PD] fmbox patch for d/l, improv

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 21:38:38 CET 2006

That's wicked fun. It's got loads of sweet spots, I've just been
messing with for it for half an hour and had some hilarious
and some beautiful sounds from it. You've got a 4 op FM algorithm
with fully connected feedback so the range is huge, and I love the
extra filtermaina where you're using the operators to modulate the
filter too :) That's crazy but, it sounds brilliant on slow waves!

Personally I'd drop the freeverb. Lot's of people seem to put a reverb
on their synths then get to see it's really best without
it. Reverb is nearly always global effect in most cases, unless you're
Phil Collins and want your drumkit to sound like each drum is in
a different room. If the synth is washed in reverb too much I think
you lose the focus of the sound, the sound becomes all about the
reverb and not about the synth, so you lose control because you
cant really hear it anymore as you twiddle the controls.

I think you'll find a few peeps have made cool ambience and
texture synths, check out Alberto Zins "outerspace" and
some Claudius-Maximus patches like "Chaos engine". You
might also like the "machine machine" in my collection.

Nice GUI too.

Improvements you could make are to add offsets between
the frequencies ;) !!! And a little bank of presets
where you've programmed a few juicy patches is always
really good when you lok at new synth, it gives you a quick
overview of the "kind" of sounds it can make, so you can
quickly choose if it's right for a part.

The difference between using a named send~ and a connection
is negligable or null, but there's a disadvantage (and feature!)
to using [send~] and [receive~] which is a 1 sample delay.
There's also a lovely feature (hideous bug) that means
the order you create sends and receives makes a difference,
but otherwise don't worry about the efficiency.