[PD] average Signal block by block

Andreas B-Andreas at web.de
Fri Dec 8 14:56:01 CET 2006

Georg Holzmann schrieb:
> Hallo!
>
>> to explain it with an example imagine a sine Signal of appropriate
>> frequency (like 44100/1024 Hz to fit into a 1024-array) with some
>> added white noise
>> with maverage~ the result would be 0
>> with the average function i need the result would be a clear sine
>> without noise (if you average over enough blocks)
>
> hm, I don't know if I understand what you want, but maybe you want to
> only leave correlated signals ?
>
> E.g. noise is highly uncorrelated ...
>
>> i tried to realize it with the FIR~ object and an array with all
>> values set to 1 ... and it seemed to work
>> greater array leads to a average of more blocks, but the FIR~ object
>> does some weird things, like shifting my signal which makes it not
>> usable for me
>
> okay, I understand ...
>
>> it would be great if someone of you got an idea for me how to solve
>> this problem
>
> what do you want to do with that - only removing noise from a signal ?
my signal is the magnitude of a frequency response of a filter, like a
digital pd filter (lop~,lp1~,lp2~) or a real filter connected to my
soundcard
using filters with a high attenuation (like >60dB) results in a noisy
signal at that frequency parts
to make the result looking better i'm searching for a function to
average this  jittering out (like a function most hardware oscilloscopes
have)
i don't think that a correlating function would help me with that
with
*** <http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=/gQPU.&search=attenuation>*
|inlet~|

|biquad~ 0 0 1 1 1|

|/~ 3|

|outlet~|

i can avarage over three blocks, but i need more than that
maybe a recursive solution could help me too but i'm not sure how to do
that cause looping is not allowed in pd