[PD] hd video in gem on linux

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 03:58:38 CET 2006

Hi,
I want to use Gem to synchronize several linux machines playing high
resolution videos 1440x1080 or 1920x1080. any comments on that???
At the moment I ran into some problems.
1) when I load one movie and play it with pixfilm or pixmovie
(autoplay 1) it works fine, but when I want to change to another movie
and send [open movie2.avi( then everything almost freezes and the
speed of the gem output reduces to maybe one or two frames per
seconds. (the movies are the same codec, the order does not matter, I
also can't load the same movie twice.)
2) to get the highest quality I am playing around with mplayer to try
some codecs.
I found lavc in connection with mjpeg a working solutions, but if
anyone could help me with that, would be great. (mencoder
/data/chr.mov -oac pcm -o /data/chr_enc1.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mjpeg)
3) please feel free to add any comments on high definition videos in
connection with gem. like about the use of keyframes, preferable
framerates, I searched the archieves, but all the threads seem to die
after some time...
marius.