[PD] fmbox patch for d/l, improv

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 19:42:09 CET 2006

Interesting discussion of the reverb.  I love reverb as well, but definitely
think that it can get overboard very quickly.  A little trick that I've been
using lately is syncing up my decay time and send amount to have variation
while sending the drums to the reverb.  It gives a neat pumping sound that
turns it into more of an instrument than a static effect.  When combining
melodic instruments with a delay or reverb freeze (closing the input and
setting feedback to unity) you can build up nice harmonic textures.  I got
that tip from Miller's book, thanks Miller!

 I'm all for seeing more reverb and delay patches in Pd.  Ableton Live has a
ton of effects based on delay and reverb.  I'd love to see more usages of
pitched reverbs that generate chords and such.

I think a neat effect-strument idea that I'd like to work on is combining
fiddle~ with a simple reverb or delay configuration to generate harmonic
'chambers' that are based upon the incoming pitch.  Of course, the
transition between 'room sizes' would  be the challenge.  I guess I'd just
have two or more such 'rooms' and cross fade one out of the mix before
changing its size.

~Kyle

On 12/8/06, padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:

> >On 12/8/06, padawan12 <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Personally I'd drop the freeverb. Lot's of people seem to put a reverb
> >> on their synths then get to see it's really best without
> >> it. Reverb is nearly always global effect in most cases, unless you're
> >> Phil Collins and want your drumkit to sound like each drum is in
> >> a different room. If the synth is washed in reverb too much I think
> >> you lose the focus of the sound, the sound becomes all about the
> >> reverb and not about the synth, so you lose control because you
> >> cant really hear it anymore as you twiddle the controls.
> >
> >I agree about dropping the freeverb from the patch, as it's really
> >better to let people choose their own (or no) effects unless it's
> >truly integral to the synth's sound.
>
> And it makes things more portable and usable on lower spec hardware
> too.
>

> >However, I disagree about reverb being a global effect unless you are
> >Phil Collins. I think this depends on the genre.
>
> Yeah totally. I was being a cock about Phil Collins, it's just
> that late 80's "hey we can afford 10 of those Yamaha REV1
> boxes so lets use them on everything" that grates on me.
> Some tracks use reverb totally disparately to create
> a good effect, and honestly, there's no reason *not* to have a
> synth patch or entire track based largely on reverb effects - I just
> think it's a common mistake when building and composing with synths
> to begin with adding too many effects on each one, and ending up
> with over-dense mixes. How much reverb and what kind? That's an
> old favorite ;) ! I'm of the less is the new more school this week :)
> Specific purposes are worth remembering, like you say, the difference
> in where you want the best replay sound , headphones vs a club PA is
> a proper baffler, and as usual there's a happy compromise to seek
> that defines your own style.
>

> >I make quite a bit of techno/house/electro/minimal, and to me reverb
> >is almost never a global effect. I usually use it (or a synced delay)
> >on one or two sounds in a mix which need to have a sort of
> >floating/wash feel and lay over the top.
>
> I see, you target specific elements you want to have a reverb.
> I guess I do too, I mean being selective on the global reverb(s)
> mixes, though the aim is often to "bind" things together that
> want to be in the same space. I say reverb(s) because actually
> I think the best result is obtained by using two processes, one to
> handle the early reflections, the "hardness and tightness" of the reverb
> and one to handle the "wash", but they have to work together.
>

> > But the key to getting nice
> >and tight percussion, and very clean mixes that will sound right in a
> >a big room, is having most of your stuff totally dry with no effects
> >at all, except compression of some sort ...
>
> Yeah agree, that early detroit and NY techno was so powerful because of
> it, the clubs gave the sound it's life and you could pump it up big
> [...]

http://theradioproject.com
http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com