[PD] after pokesdown

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 07:35:36 CET 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:32:02 -0600
"Kyle Klipowicz" <kyleklip at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like this idea.  MPEG4-SA has always seemed like vaporware that will never
> get accepted, but maybe someday it will be...perhaps Pd would be a better
> framwork than Music N.

I followed it intently for a while back in 96, from Caseys
sketch and then MIT sort sat on it. There's some tools for
development on Berkley, but it's been cold for years. Again and
again my work keeps coming back to "something like MPEG4", a way of
not just describing sounds, but brokering them as remote objects.
I think the problem with SA is that got cast as a "delivery tool"
and that's not what it is (for me). A pd file, being a netlist
of predefined objects is very efficient, I was realising when running
a script on my pd files to see how many arithmentic or control objects
were being used, it turned out about 70% of everything was multiplys
[*] or [*~], closely followd by [phasor~], well my impression was
that most things could be described by about 20 or 30 objects.
And if you use some obscure object like [uncompilable~] the client
should send a wtf? to the server who sends the DSP object.