[PD] overcome nqpoly4 limitations

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 11 04:08:50 CET 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 10:01 PM, Derek Holzer wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> I think, a successor of nqpoly4 should not care about voice
>> allocation
>> at all by itself.
>
> Actually, in the end what I'm looking for is exactly dynamic voice
> allocation, so that I can get PD to act like SuperCollider and only
> let abstractions create a CPU load when they are actually being
> played, instead of all the time. The granular synthesis work I'm
> doing is just too heavy otherwise. I'd hoped nqpoly would do that,
> but I'm still not sure. Maybe it's just a way of spawning a bunch
> of abstractions at once, regardless how heavy they run...

[nqpoly4] will allocate the given number of voices.  Then you can
control the CPU using a [switch~] in the replicated abstraction.
Whenever that abstraction receives a message, it would first turn on
[switch~], then execute the message.  Then after sending the
"complete" bang, it would turn off the [switch~].  That should cover it.

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!