[PD] nqpoly4 simple instructions?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 11 12:32:43 CET 2006

Hallo,

> Yeah, I was just thinking that same thing, that it would be useful to
> have both one with automatic [switch~]ing, and one without.  It seems
> to me that if you want one to do voice allocation/management stuff,
> then that should have built in [switch~] function.

I don't think switching can be done in a generic way from the outside
without knowing some details of the abstraction to switch on or off.

Take for example midi voice allocation: Basically noteon and noteoff
are kind of switch on and switch off messages already. However
generally you have a release envelope fading out the sound over a
certain time span after the noteoff message arrived. You cannot switch
off dsp for a voice unless you know its release length, and this
length might only be known inside the voice abstraction.

So for [polypoly] which specializes in midi note allocation the
auto-switching feature wouldn't work, you have to built it into your
polypoly-abstraction yourself.

Ciao