switch~ing voices [was: Re: [PD] nqpoly4 simple instructions?]

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Dec 11 19:09:48 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 09:41 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
> >
> >> the attached patch shows that the subpatch is [switch~]ed off too
> >> early,
> >> but not [switch~]ed on too late.

> >> if i interprete correctly, what your patch is telling me, then one
> >> would
> >> have to switch *off* one block *later*. it wouldn't be necessary
> >> to know
> >> in advance, when to switch on, though. it seems like it is enough
> >> to add
> >> 1.5ms to each [delay] that schedules the switch-off-messages.
> >
> > Ah, yes, you're right: I didn't interpret the patch correctly.
> > Attached is another version which allows to test different delay times
> > and also lets you compare a switched off with a non-switched signal.
> > It shows, that timing is indeed no problem when switching off
> > subpatches, which is good news to me.
>
> There could be a number of idle voices that are switched on to
> prevent this. So you could specify, say 5 voices always ready, then
> whenever one voice starts playing, it also turns on another idle voice.
>
> This would be harder to implement, but would be a nicer outcome than
> a hard-coded 1.5 ms delay.

this is quite what frank mentioned in his post before and then i was
trying to explain that something like that is not necessary
(respectively that there is no problem with timing, when using vline~
and such). it turned out that the end of a envelope period is cut, not
the start. that is why i proposed to switch~ off a subpatch 1 block
later, or in other words: when you generate an envelope with vline~ that
takes e.g. 1000ms, then you should send 1001.5 (1000 + 1.5 [1block]) to
the delay, that switch~es the subpatch off in order to avoid cutting the
end of the envelope.

roman