[PD] status on intel core duo?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Thu Dec 14 02:15:01 CET 2006

> >pd-0.41 (his is: the current CVS), seems to work fine on my amd64 (the
> >only problems i had with earlier versions were the tables)

it was freezing on launch here until start with -noaudio, then i realize the configure.in generates a script that still doesn't properly detect jack.. manually enabling and make clean install got it to connect to jackd (according to patchage). havent plugged in headphones yet...

> >i have no experience with 64bit intel machines.
>
> A bit off-topic: what's the cheapest AMD64 that you can get?

Sempron64. they cost as much as a few trips to Starbucks these days.. they have a big less cache, subjectively a 2.0g sempron felt slower than my 2.0g athlon64, but it could have also been the onboard VIA video, 800 mhz vs 1 ghz bus speed, IDE vs SATA hd, etc.. its a good deal, but id get a Core 2 Duo if you can swing the cash and just want the best performance (per watt, and quite possible per monetary unit)

>  Are the original generation good chips?

sure. but theyre single core (the dual core boost is probably 95% more performance, compared to maybe 20% for just the 64bit part)

I'd like to get one, and well, I have no money...  then perhaps I
> could also run nightly builds on it, when I am not using it

not a bad idea.. did you ever try sourceforge's build farm? i mean maybe it'd save you electricity..